corn bread taco bake

4:59 PM Posted by Roo

I love trying new recipes and when I find one that's a keeper (especially when it's super easy and quick to make) I can't NOT share it. This one received a stamp of approval from all 4 of us including the 5 year old who would prefer to stick with the basics of cheeseburgers, pizza, mac 'n cheese, etc. I totally spaced out taking a picture but trust me it's yummy.

Corn Bread Taco Bake
Serves 6

1.5 pounds ground beef
1 can (15-1/4 oz) whole kernel corn, drained*
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 envelope taco seasoning*
1 package (8.5 oz) corn bread/muffin mix (I use Jiffy)
1 can (2.8 oz) french-fried onions, divided
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese*


Preheat oven to 400.

In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, tomato sauce, water, green pepper and taco seasoning; mix well. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.

Prepare corn bread mix according to package directions for corn bread. Stir in half of the onions. Spread over beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400 for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining onions. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and a toothpick inserted into corn bread layer comes out clean.

*I used frozen corn in lieu of canned. I don't use envelope taco seasoning mixes. I have my own recipe that I prefer to use and will post that separately. And I used a Mexican blend cheese instead of cheddar. I also think I'll up the green peppers to a whole one next time just because I love green peppers and extra veggies is always a good thing!

Recipe is from Taste of Home - the busy family cookbook. Definitely worth picking up a copy.

If you decide to try it let me know what you think!

1 comments:

  1. Brooke said...

    okay i'm definitely going to give this one a try! :) i'll let you know how it goes over with Mr. You-should-make-hamburger-helper-more-often.

Post a Comment